spring





Sunday, May 15, 2011

Ouch!

It all started with cleaning.  I will tell you that cleaning is bad for your health and in this particular instance it was.

It was the day before Lilly's birthday party at Castles and Coasters.  My sister was over so naturally I started to clean stuff.  I don't know why this happens every time she comes over but it does.  Maybe it has something to do with the fact I find cleaning to be the most boring activity on the face of the planet right under watching baseball on TV and so I hardly ever do it.  I mean sure I pick up and put stuff away.  I fold laundry and take out the trash.  I also do dishes and wipe of the counter, but real cleaning I hardly ever do and I never do alone.  So Ashley was over and we were chatting and I was cleaning the kitchen cabinets.  Then all of a sudden a splinter the size of a toothpick went up under my thumbnail!

OWIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I danced around and squeezed my thumb tight.  I hopped on one foot then the other and finally got calm enough to rip the stupid thing out.  Man my thumb hurt!  It was about the thickness of a toothpick and it was a good 2 inches long with about half an inch up under my nail.  Thankfully it was along the edge of my nail and not directly down the center.  See!  I told you cleaning is bad for your health!

Well I soaked my thumb in salt water took some Tylenol and watched in amazement as the thing grew to twice it's normal size.

We went to Castles and Coasters for Lilly's party and had a great time.  My thumb hurt like crazy but it was tolerable.

Fast forward a month....

My thumb stayed swollen and developed a painful red bump by the knuckle, but I didn't think much of it.  I figured that it was just injured from the huge splinter and it was my body trying to fight off infection. 

Eventually the nail, where the splinter went under, started to lift.  I would regularly lift up the edge and try to get peroxide in there to help my body fight whatever nasty bug had gotten a free ride up under my thumbnail.  After a month I trimmed off the edge of my nail in order to get better air flow and have easier access to peroxide it. 

A day or two after trimming the nail I noticed a dark thing by the cuticle.  I thought it might be a bit of scab but the color just didn't seem right so I decided to use some tweezers to try to lift whatever it was out of the corner of my nail.

Much to my surprise once I pried the little mystery substance up it looked like it just might be a little piece of splinter.  So I got ahold of the edge with the tweezers and started to pull....  I kept pulling and pulling...  out came a 3/4 inch piece of splinter!!!  That mysterious red swollen area on my thumb was where the end of the splinter resided.... all the way up at my knuckle!!!  Ack! Ewww! Gross!

No comments:

Post a Comment